Monday, November 16, 2015

Redemption

Redemption

 Originally written September 2015

Sometimes to achieve success you need to know when to go to the experts for advice. As you read in the last newsletter, my e36 was the source of stress and frustration. The convertible top failed and with numerous attempts to rectify the situation, it was to no avail. I threw in the towel and forced the 320i out into the weather while the topless convertible got the garage until I could come up with a solution. The one silver lining to this was since the e21 was already outside I wound up driving that car more in one month than I probably did most of last year. There was nothing to move out of the way, just hop in, turn the key and drive.  The e36, a different story.
 
I received several emails from club members after my article was published who were kind enough to give me some advice to repair the top. This is why this club is so wonderful. Its members are willing to reach out to each other and offer advice and a helping hand. I appreciated each and every one of you who contacted me. Unfortunately, the issues were beyond a simple synchronization of the motors. There was something else lurking in the depths of the convertible hell I was in.  It was time I contacted an expert, Don at Mr. M Car in Farmingdale, NJ.
When I dropped the car off to Don and Dwayne I explained what was happening and what I had done. I also gave them a small list of other items that needed attention as well.  Within a day or so they had diagnosed the source of the anguish. The passenger convertible boot latch that contains the micro switch was faulty. It was not reading the position of the boot so it was not allowing the system to synchronize.  Finally, success!  A convertible that converts. The top still had some quirks like the tension straps were weak but it goes up and down.
I was told I had to watch the edge of the convertible top and the boot lid because if you didn’t make sure the rear of the top was fully up, they would meet, which would cause the boot lift bar to pop off the motor again. This happened twice to me. The main cause of this was the clip to hold everything in place was not the correct one. A trip to Circle BMW’s parts counter solved that issue with a brand new OEM piece. I got really good at accessing the top motor by now so it only took a matter of minutes to install the proper clip thus resulting in worry free topless driving.

Since the love was lost with all the problems, I was determined to sell the car.  It left a bad taste in my mouth. I had owned it for 6+ months at this time and only drove it 100 miles. I was almost mad I traded my e38 for this thing. I loved that 740IL.  I was ready to put the 323i on the chopping block but then something happened. I started to drive it.  True to any BMW, it was a great driving machine. With 95% of its issues taken care of I was happily cruising around town with the top down, and wind in my hair. The car was starting to grow on me. The strange thing is for whatever reason I just never had an appreciation for the e36’s. Maybe because most of the ones I had seen on the market were driven hard and put away wet. Well this one made me change my tune a bit. It is a lot of car for the little money you spend. A great bang for the buck if you will.
Any day that was sunny and I didn’t need my truck for business I was topless and loving every minute of it. It became my fair weather daily driver. This e36 was a pretty nice car. My wife even drove it to work and got lots of compliments on it. Maybe I am going to keep this thing?
But reality set in. I am now going into business for myself brokering European, classic and specialty vehicles. I am also providing local, national and worldwide vehicle transportation. Some of the extra toys have to go to raise the needed funds for startup capital.  I drove the e36 cabrio to Bimmerfest at Raceway Park and put a for sale sign on it.  I had a lot of interest but no real buyers. Next was internet marketing. This is where my talents and experience come into play. In a matter of 6 days I had this car sold to someone who was giving it to their girlfriend’s daughter as a first car. I have to say two months ago, I wouldn’t have cared too much but when I delivered it to their home, I was a little sad that I had sold it. With the rollercoaster of emotions this car gave me it was certainly a journey. I am happy that it wound up with a new home, in better condition than when I first got it. More importantly, it helped me get one step closer to starting my business.
 
 
The small sacrifices I make now will return long term gains. But once things get rolling I can put my eye out for the next acquirement. Maybe an e46 M3, or an e28 M5, or another e30 convertible or better yet that e30 Touring I’ve been searching European listings for.  But at least this e36 redeemed itself which in turn opened my eyes to one of the best bargains in the BMW market
 
~ JT Burkard ~
Comments and suggestions welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment